Exterminatus Cadre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An all pro World of Tanks clan, dedicated to fun and teamwork.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Shout Box!
Latest topics
» To light it off...
Today in History - August 22, 2013 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2015 7:16 am by DaLanMan

» Wassup Beaches!
Today in History - August 22, 2013 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 11:03 pm by DaLanMan

» whoo stuff
Today in History - August 22, 2013 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 3:16 am by strelkov16

» 8.9 Is Now Live!!
Today in History - August 22, 2013 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 3:22 pm by OZMS_LibertyPrime

» Greetings From a Guy Whose Name You Can't Pronounce
Today in History - August 22, 2013 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2013 5:29 pm by Gearlok

» Today in History-October 14, 2013
Today in History - August 22, 2013 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 10:55 pm by Dreadcon98

» Hunter Writes About Historiography
Today in History - August 22, 2013 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 6:59 pm by Gearlok

» They just cant get me-ELC fun
Today in History - August 22, 2013 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 9:20 pm by Dreadcon98

» Today in History - September 12, 2013
Today in History - August 22, 2013 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 9:18 pm by Dreadcon98

Top posting users this week
No user
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 53 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:56 pm

Today in History - August 22, 2013

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Hunter Zero72

Today in History - August 22, 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Today in History - August 22, 2013   Today in History - August 22, 2013 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Happy Thursday people. I don't really have much more to say yet... Fucking Thursday. Anyway, lemme throw some Scotland at you!

August 22, 564 - Columba, an Irish abbot who spread Christianity to those stubborn Scots, reports seeing a creature in Loch Ness. In case any of you grew up without a childhood, that's the Loch Ness Monster, and it's apparently either forever old or has a long line of family history that is nearly as impressive as mine.

Speaking of my family history, now this!

August 22, 1642 - King Charles I of England, son of King James I of England, who was also King James VI of Scotland, declares the English Parliament traitors. I'm going to explain this as best I can without looking it up, because I find this particular event hilarious. Charles wanted money to finance a war against... The Spanish? Maybe the Irish... Or the Puritans... Probably the Puritans actually. Anyway, Parliament says "Sorry bro, you can't use treasury money just to kill people that you don't like" and Charles got pissed. In his defense, Parliament was doing it to fuck with him, since it's not like they'd never allowed English kings to kill people before... Anyway, he says "Fuck you guys, I'm king, I'll do what I want, and I want to declare you all enemies of the state!" and so he raises his own army to eliminate Parliament.
Now, this possibly would have worked a few hundred years ago, but after the Protestant Reformation, and in the beginnings of the Enlightenment, Parliament, indeed the whole nation, is realizing that the king's power is not absolute, he's not actually some divine being, and so Parliament decides to raise their army to fight him. Bam, English Civil War.
Long story short, Parliament wins, a guy named Oliver Cromwell takes over and turns England into a military dictatorship(you know how Cromwell players are dicks? Well so was this guy, so it's fitting, but that's a whole other story), but here's the cool part. When they defeated Charles, they had him beheaded, and he is the only English king to have ever been beheaded by Parliament. So there, my family is famous for doing things that no kings or queens had ever done before. We're winners.

August 22, 1849 - The first air raid in history. Apparently the Austrians launched unmanned balloons against the Venetians (from Venice... Play Assassin's Creed people, come on now). I can only imagine that this was hilariously unsuccessful, but it could also have been... Nah, just hilarious, that's really all I can imagine it being.

August 22, 1902 - Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first American president to ride in an automobile. Because fuck walking, this is the mother fucking future.

August 22, 1910 - Japan annexes Korea after the signing of the Japan-Korea Treaty of 1910. The occupation would last until the end of World War II, but as far as we're concerned Korea is still basically Japan's little brother... Isn't that right Derick?

August 22, 1914 - The first engagement between British and German forces of the First World War. Don't ask me what the engagement was, because I'm not sure right now. I could look it up, but I have other facts to type up, so why don't you lazy bastards do it? Apparently it was in Belgium, which makes sense, because Britain "only" went to war with Germany because the Germans invaded Belgium, disregarding the country's neutrality.

August 22, 1941 - The Siege of Leningrad commences. This will become the longest recorded siege in history, and it's why I have "For Leningrad!" plastered on the side of my beautiful KV-2.

August 22, 1942 - Brazil declares war on Germany and Italy. No, I'm serious, this actually happened.

Apparently August 22nd is a MUCH better day to do historically interesting things than August 21st, so there you go. Now I'm gonna go back to whatever other nonsense it was that I was doing. See you tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Gearlok

Gearlok

Today in History - August 22, 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today in History - August 22, 2013   Today in History - August 22, 2013 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Haha, Brazil declares war... I wonder if anyone actually noticed? Smile

These are quite humerous. Thanks Hunter!
Back to top Go down

Today in History - August 22, 2013
Page 1 of 1